Cults are most often religious groups that use teaching and social structures to exhibit strong and/or controlling influence over its members’ financial, material, and social circles. The beliefs are typically driven by a single cult leader and a specific set of religious beliefs unique to that group. For the purpose of this section CARM will specifically be discussing Christian Cults. For more information about non-Christian groups please see the Religious Groups Section.
- All Groups and Movements List
- What are some signs and practices of a cult?
- Cults! An outline analysis of them.
- What makes a church or group non-Christian?
- Jesus’ humbled state and what it means
- Cult Comparison Chart
- Justification and Sanctification: What is the difference?
- Do we have the right to make these judgments?
- What is the truth?
- What about the testimonies of people in cults?
Division between World Religions and Religious Groups/Cults
The division between World Religions and Religious Groups/Cults, according to CARM, is by the number of members each group has. If a group has less than one million members, it is considered a religious group and/or cult. Why this number? Why not? It is a round figure and seems to be sufficient for now.
Generally, the articles in this section will take the following format
- Biblical Analysis:
However, there are groups that will have more information and expand beyond the format listed above. As you will see, there are many groups listed, but not yet analyzed. Please be patient with us as we add to the listings.
- Larson, Bob, Larson’s Book of Cults, Wheaton, IL, 1982.
- Irvine, WM. C., Heresies Exposed, Neptune, NJ, 1980.
- Martin, Walter, The New Cults, Ventura, CA: Regal Books, 1985.
- McDowell, Josh and Steward, Don, Understanding the Occult, San Bernardino, CA: Here’s Life Publishers, Inc. 1982.
- Rice, John R. False Doctrines Answered From the Scriptures, Murfreesboro, Tenn:, Sword of the Lord Publishers, 1970.
- Van Baalen, Jan Karel, The Chaos of the Cults, Grand Rapids, Mich:, Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1967.
This section is also available in: Español]]>